Saturday, January 3, 2009

Wedding Coordinators - What to look for

It's come to my attention, that many brides have no idea what they should ask or look for when interviewing potential wedding coordinators.

I'd like to give you some ideas. First, one doesn't have to be "certified" to be a wedding coordinator. While there are many good courses, some choose not to take them, and can still be good coordinators. However, if someone has taken the time and spent the money, to become a wedding/event coordinator, you will know they are serious about their chosen career.

How long have they been coordinating weddings? How many do they do a week? Will the person you talk with be the one doing your wedding? How do they bill out? Do they accept "kick-backs"?

The basic ways a coordinator will bill you, will be:

a. A percentage of the budget - Ask if this is the proposed budget or what it turns out to be. What all is included in the percentage?

b. By the hour.

c. By a flat fee. This is the way I choose to bill because I feel it's important that no client feels like they are being charged every time they call or want to meet with me. Planning a wedding takes as long as it takes. (Personally, I'm on site for the rehearsal and the day of the wedding start to finish. This means I check in with the bride, wherever she's getting ready then proceed to do what I need to do.)

Does the planner have an adequate emergency kit? Will they bring it?

Do they have an assistant? While I don't always use one, if the ceremony and reception are in different locations or if there are over 50 guests, then I will have someone there to help cover as needed.

Most important, is how do you feel about this person? Are they sending out warm, fuzzy vibes? Do they seem to be someone who will listen to what you want or do they appear to be the type to just take over? Remember this is YOUR wedding and your budget. You are in control!

It's also nice, when you can, to take your fiance with you. A good wedding coordinator should make themselves available to the groom as well since he may have questions that he needs answers to as well.

I hope this helps your interviewing process. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me or send me an email at tanya@weddingsbytanya.com or check out my website http://www.weddingsbytanya.com/ for additional information.

The more informed you are the easier your interviews will go.

No comments: